Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Mean Doesn't Win

Rude vs. Mean Vs. Bullying…I have a poster about this hanging up in my classroom, because kids CAN be mean. They can also be rude and sometimes they are bullies, but mostly, they are just mean. 

Not too long ago someone was mean to one of my kids…it happens, like I said, kids are mean. It actually didn’t even faze MY kid, but WOW did it faze me!  For a couple of reasons…first of all, I don’t like mean! Second of all, it was someone who is very near and dear to me/us. Third, it really just hurt my feelings as we try very hard to provide for our kids as best we can, but refuse to spoil them. They get ONE pair of nice sneakers when school starts, that’s it. Shoes are not a competition. When and if they get worn out or outgrown, they get replaced. Period. For Savannah that is usually the next school year and for Justice it is at least once or sometimes twice during the year.


Anyway I kept trying to figure out why this wasn’t bothering my kid? How did he just let this roll? Well, he texted me the other day telling me that it was time, his current sneakers were officially on their last legs and could we please go shopping for new ones. So we all went shopping last night and I had a glimpse into the awesomeness that is our children. Now I’m not saying any of this to brag, or to point out that we are great parents, because trust us, we have messed up immeasurably and are full of faults. BUT, there are a few things that we have gotten right, and raising grateful, unspoiled children (who fight with each other constantly ;) are a few of those things! Just as a little background, we do the 4 gifts for Christmas (1 want, 1 need, 1 to wear, 1 to read) so as we were leaving the store Justice says “well, these can count as my 1 thing I need for Christmas.” Seriously? I love this 13-year-old boy! And his sister, who is already starting to plan her birthday party (in June) because she wants to donate gifts to a children’s hospital or cancer center. Yes, we must be doing something right, and even when their Mama gets upset…mean didn’t win.

No comments:

Post a Comment