Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

I've got to be honest...there's a part of me that is glad that 2012 is over. It was definitely a year of tests, a year spent 'in the fire' and while part of me is glad its over...I wouldn't change any of it. Now I KNOW that some of you just read that and said..."um, Shan?..." But really, for all of the tests, heartache, loss...I wouldn't change a thing, because in the end I feel as if I have come out BLESSED beyond measure.

I have said before that I know undoubtedly that Mom having her stroke saved Jay and I...it brought us closer together, and made God our focus. I used to think that I couldn't live with out her...that I HAD to have my mom around. God showed me that I would be just fine without her...as long as I put Him first. What I finally learned this year, through many heartaches, and many losses...was that there was only ONE who I couldn't live without...God, and as long as I focused on Him, put Him first...then I would be fine.

It was a tough year, personally...professionally...mom, job issues, personal issues. They took their toll. But through them all, I put Him first...and amazing things happened. We had the opportunity to help out a family/friend. We were able to develop some friendships into very important relationships. The kids are getting older, so football season seemed a bit more manageable. And since our Sunday School class started going to the games...I even started sitting in the stands...sometimes ;) Honestly though, if it weren't for the amazing group of Coach's Wives (and a few select parents) I'm not sure how any of us would make it through...

But I digress...because my point is, I am SO Blessed. I am blessed to have all those people sit around me as a buffer in the stands. Blessed to be in a circle of Coach's Wives together, with other precious ladies who get it! Blessed to work at a place that is more a family...than a job. Blessed to have some amazing friends, who are truly family. Blessed to have some family that are some amazing friends. Blessed to have some family that I am finally learning to trust and love. Blessed that I had the amazing gift of 40 years with the best mom ever. Blessed that I have learned that forgiveness and love is so much better than pride. Blessed to spend my days with God and my Nortons4

1 comment:

  1. I used to like the quotation, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger," but I'm starting to shy away from that simplicity. However, I will say that I hold to the truth that we grow/mature/become wiser through trials than through the times that we are lucky enough to glide through our days. Maybe the greatest blessing of all is that life is made up of peaks and valleys...and a lot of plains too. And I ALWAYS think that the wisest among us count their blessings as you have eloquently done in this entry! Stay strong and wise. I love you!

    ReplyDelete