Saturday, March 13, 2010

Confessions...of a sucky mom..lol

Sometimes I think I suck...as a mom.  Especially as a 'Teacher-mom'...I'm not that prissy, fun, PTA, cookie baking, June Cleaver type...not one bit.  In fact I wear jeans to work MOST of the time ;) I am pretty fun I guess, I DID get suckered into the PTA (but I occasionally miss meetings..lol) Jay bakes the cookies (but I usually buy them..lol) so..well, maybe I'm getting there.  I think one of the BIG things I always beat myself up about is the whole night-time 'story time' or maybe it's reading books to them in general.  Now, don't get me wrong...I LOVE BOOKS. I have tons of books, just ask my husband!  Actually he would say..TOO MANY ;)  Our kids have TONS OF BOOKS...I'm a reader, they are readers...I just DON'T read to them all the time (**audible gasp!)  I didn't with Justice, and it was VERY obvious early on...that the kid was flippin brilliant..lol  I think he was going into the 3 year old room when he learned how to spell his name...in a couple of hours.  You see we had visited the classroom and I saw kids writing their names...and thought CRAP, he doesn't know his! Of course it was a 3-5 yo room..lol   So the next day (before he went in there...) we were driving around and I'm saying..."ok buddy it's..J-U-S...T-I...C-E..." I do this a FEW times and he says...let me try..."J-U-S-T-I-C-E"...um ok...Note to self...DON'T teach the kid anything else..or ALL future teachers will hate me ;)  He could read before he went to Kindergarten...he would chill out with his K teacher during 'naptime' and the two of them would read Captain Underpants books together.  Last year his 1st grade teacher introduced him to Matt Christopher.  This year his teacher has REALLY released him into the world of non-fiction and he is THRILLED!  He says it's the 'special section' that only he can check books out of in the library :)  He has also discovered a couple of series that he really enjoys - The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, and The Boxcar Children.

Savy somehow also loves to read.  She has half a dozen Bibles and always wants to read stories about Baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph.  Justice started reading the Boxcar Children to her so we got her an easy reader version, it has colorful pictures and she can 'read' the entire story back to you...CRAZY!  That is the most amazing part to me, she can hear a story one or two times and then she can 'read' it to you...nuts!  She of course also loves all of her Princess and Barbie books...any that are PINK (barf..)

Anyways...the point to this entire blog...other than confessing my suckage ;) was that I found one of my childhood books today at a thrift store!!  As soon as I saw it on the shelf I squealed!  Andy and the Lion.  It was one of my faves, so I grabbed it up for the whopping  25 cents.  I also took a pic and sent it to my sis...she was tickled too :)  Well, you betcha we had story time tonight!  In the tent no less...haha, you see my silly, sweet kids have set up their pop up play tents in Justice's room...and decided to sleep in them.  Sweet, little, sleepy, reading blessings...every single day.

1 comment:

  1. Smart kids!!!! reading and all. They should read to you while you go to bed...hey, that's an idea!!! I loved this story!

    Very impressed with the reader boy.

    I hope you get some sleep tonight and they don't keep you up allllll night!!

    ReplyDelete